Materials & decisions about which materials to use...

Materials & decisions about which materials to use...

GroveCanada
Administrator
Lead was used because it was great for painting...The whites are well known to be thick & very white & lead whites imparted a particular glow...The reason lead went out of fashion is because it caused so many health problems for artists & gallerists...Lead causes ear troubles, which then can proceed to brain tumours, leading to severe personality disorders...In the book about Edith Halpert, The girl with the gallery by Lyndsay Pollock, Sam Halpert, the painter complains of ringing in his ears most of his short life, then ends up dying of an ear infection...Later, Edith herself starts displaying weird behaviours & later dies of a brain tumour...Van Gogh cutting his ear off is a classic example of lead poisoning...Strange behaviours which have become almost stereotypical of painters may in fact be physically attached to lead exposure...Permanence in whites has become less important in painting than health matters...In disclosing my own materials used in a painting, I make sure to note that there is no lead in what I use...I think this is important to the future owner too...I also don't use rabbit skin glue, because my nephew had a pet rabbit, though it is probably more stable than the new alternatives...My stretcher bar wood is Paulownia, because those trees are renewable, though probably softer than older growth trees...I use a dammar varnish dissolved in oranges rather than turpentine, though oranges are a weaker solvent...I use knives rather than animal hair brushes, after a supplier told me about how the animal hair was gotten...All this to say that I think current materials must take into account other considerations than permanence for the new reasons & paradigms of our future...If those choices are explained to collectors, I think they will consider them selling points rather than weaknesses...

Re: Materials & decisions about which materials to use...

GroveCanada
Administrator
The tipping Point, possibly theme for my next painting...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_point

DEKOONING...

GroveCanada
Administrator
  If DeKooning's Women paintings were really just his face superimposed onto a naked woman's body...(which is how I see his Woman paintings...)
  Then, I was thinking, the statement I get from that is...

 That, when you look at a painting of a naked woman, you are really looking at that man painter who painted it...

 So, in effect, naked women imagery, say on the internet, is not really portraying naked women, but the men behind the photos who took the photos & posted them...(What you are seeing is the perspective of the photographer, creator of image, painter, not the model...)

  Which is why a woman might become aroused by a painting of a naked woman...Not because she is a lesbian, but because she is really seeing the man behind the painting who painted it- his arousal...

  When you see a woman walking down the street, wearing red high heeled shoes, a red tight mini-dress, red lipstick, hair cut & coloured & styled, eyeshadow etcetera, what you are really looking at is an image created by a man to please a man...In essence you are looking at a man...His desires...

  Also, is DeKooning's manly face on the female body a commentary on the fact that his female peers were all very manly in demeanor ? (female artists were quite masculine in the 50s, they had to be to survive...)