Vanity Gallery GoArounds ...

GroveCanada
Administrator
   First off , don't pay to show your work ...The mere fact that you are willing to pay tells the person that you are paying to, that you don't think you deserve a regular show ...the act of paying denigrates your work immediately...kind of like paying a guy to take you out on a date (for a girl)...it makes it look like you are a bit desperate ...or that nobody will date you for free...or ...anyway...Now here is a more subtle vanity gallery goaround , for lack of a better word...The gallery "rents" out for anyone who needs a venue ...so , your work gets hung on the walls for free during non rented periods...when the gallery is rented, your work comes down for whatever party is happening ...or, possibly , your work serves as background decoration for whatever event has rented...the 'gallery' makes money by renting out space, not by selling paintings...Hungry artists will rent out the space for their solo show for a week or more...artists on the gallery roster get to give their paintings for free as decoration for the walls during down times...Essentially this "looks" like a gallery, but it really is a vanity gallery, renting out space to artists , using artists on their roster as decoys ...selling art is not the real perogative here, selling space to artists is the perogative...If you are on the "roster" of artists who are not paying, are you getting real shows ? or are you just the works that are hung in between events? is anything selling ? Is this really a vanity gallery playing pretend ? Think about it... are you the trap that is luring other artists into thinking this place is legitimate? or are you the one who thinks if they pay the first time that later the gallery will take you & it will be free ? If a gallery is available for rental , for artist shows, will the non-paying artists on the roster be interpreted by the public as being paying artists? Does the gallery state publicly that " these artists paid for their shows" & " these artists do not pay for their shows" ??? Did the gallery state in the Calls for artists " This gallery is a VANITY gallery " ? " Meaning people PAY to show here " ... I think there should be some sort of a law that states ALL VANITY GALLERIES MUST DECLARE SO IN ALL ADVERTISING CALLS TO ARTISTS PUBLICATIONS & WEBSITES...Then & only then will the public understand which galleries are real & which are just rooms for rent...Big difference...This issue keeps coming up for me & I am sure that more communication about vanity galleries in Canada will help artists avoid this trap...I am thinking of writing a list naming names , but for the moment am shy , as two recent vanity galleries I ran into accidentally, have badmouthed me , knowing that I am a member of CARFAC & knowing that I know that what they are doing is unethical...though I am in the right, their badmouths required a phonecall to real galleries to explain...Unfortunately unethical galleries can spread rumours if they feel threatened, which they did...I don't mind when vanity galleries show their true colours, it just confirms my opinion of them , but insults always hurt & I am soft...